Friday, July 5, 2013

16 Weeks and Growing!

We had our 16 week appointment on Friday, where we got to meet the doctor for the first time.  And boy, is she a cheerful one!

We'd originally planned on dealing exclusively with midwives at Pearl Place, but of course, you know the story: twins are higher risk, blah blah blah, so we're working directly with the doc.

She was fabulous, so I'm not too worried.

Unfortunately, the check-up was just that... a check-up.  Checked my weight (I'm up 3 pounds!), my blood pressure (perfect!), and we got to do my favorite thing... hear their little heartbeats.

Doctor is convinced that since their heartbeats are so high, that they are girls.  Me?  I don't buy into all that mumbo-jumbo... there are plenty of boys that are born with high heartbeats, and girls with low.  I also don't believe in the cranial structure stuff, the cravings test, any of it.  My babies will tell me what they are when they show me their little parts.

It's not that I wouldn't be happy with two little girls.  I'll be thrilled no matter who they are.  But I have this strong feeling that at least one is a boy.

We get to find out on August 2nd... so the countdown is on!  Our reveal is going to be so stinkin' cute... be excited ;)

The other exciting thing is that all that movement I've been feeling in my belly is NOT gas... it's babies!  Doctor could hear movement with the doppler... even told me that baby on the left (which is the one I feel most often) is going to be a handful.  My little active twinsies...

So yes, to keep you updated, in the past week and a half or so, I've been feeling tiny flutters in my belly.  There were some before that, but I can't be sure if that's what I was feeling.  For those of you wondering what it's like... it's like when the doctor thumps on your noggin asking, "does this hurt?"  that soft little "thud" of a fingertip against your skull... or better yet, put your hand on your stomach, and then tap your first two fingers on your hand quickly.... what you feel through to your stomach is kind of what I feel inside mine.  Very faint, but definitely movement.

Other symptoms of the 16th week: I'm getting HUGE!

These babies are growing like rapid fire, and so is my belly.  I am loving it so much.  I like to sit and just touch my belly, and stare at it.  I've been taking so many photos of us (me and the belly, ha) just because it's making me feel so cute :)

Of course, I know it's the twins that are especially cute, not be, but I'll take it!

We'll see how much I love this bump in about 10 weeks... but so far, so good.

The nausea has slightly subsided (maybe a TMI for some of you), and I only get really sick if I haven't eaten (which reminds me....)

The symptoms have shifted to thirstiness... I'm ALWAYS wanting something freezing cold to drink... and I used to hate ice... and a little bit of dizziness, but not too bad.

The worst thing is the sciatic nerve pain.  I thought it wouldn't start until later in my pregnancy, but I was completely wrong.  These babies are in there laughing at how I walk when I've been sitting too long, or walking too long... or basically functioning at all.  Hopefully this is the worst of it.

Of course, the symptoms are nothing compared to the incredible joy I'm feeling about these two little guys (or girls).  As the weeks creep forward, they become more and more real to me.

I'm majorly nesting right now... trying to throw out SO many things.  In the last week, we've made three trips to Goodwill.  Small trips, mind you, but trips nonetheless.  I want all unnecessary things out of my life.  Bye bye, clothes that I haven't worn in years, dishes that I didn't know existed, and ugly trinkets that don't match anything and have no sentimental value!

Of course, with getting rid of my own things comes adding things for the twinsies.  I've been working on decor for their nursery.  We are going off of the theme from Lambs and Ivy: Echo, and I must say it is the darn cutest thing I've ever seen.

My favorite part of their room so far is the dresser/changing table, but only because I made cute little drawer pulls for it.

[On that note, we are registered at Babies R Us, if anyone wants to start spoiling these twins early :)  Of course, Babies R Us can get a little pricey, so if you want to purchase the same item elsewhere, just e-mail my mom salvationclown@aol.com... put "Alicia's registry" in the subject and tell her what you bought, she'll take it off the registry.]


I've also done a few paintings on canvas that go along with the theme.  Not the exact characters from the Lambs and Ivy set, but close, and still adorable.







I'm a little sad at how they look in these pictures, because I think they're WAY cuter in person... But hey, flash does some terrible things to color.






Finally, I've been working (slowly but surely) on their baby book.  There might be some debate over twins having their own baby books or one... but my twinsies are going to have a single baby book.  They will have their own pages devoted to them as they are born and grow, but while they're in my tummy, they are progressing together, and the ONE baby book just seems logical to me.  This is a picture of the cover, which I'm sure is not finished.




Well I guess that's it for now, see you in a week or so!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. I wish I had done one. You are such a great mommy! How's Daddy doing with your pregnancy?- Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you! I wish I would write more; I just feel like at this point in the pregnancy it's all the same... "I don't feel good... I want to meet my babies... blah blah blah..." lol.

    I could not ask for a better daddy for these two. I have always loved him, but never more than I do now that he's a daddy. He'll randomly grab my tummy throughout the day, he kisses it and talks to it, and he spoils me rotten. He has come to every single appointment with me and gets so excited every time to hear the heartbeats or just hear how they are doing. He has a smile on the whole time we're at the doc.

    I feel a "daddy rocks" post coming on... haha!

    ReplyDelete