Wednesday, May 8, 2013

It's a..... TWIN?!

Yesterday was our first ultrasound, where we got to see our baby for the first time.

We anxiously awaited the appointment for two weeks, knowing our baby would look like a little bean, but still excited to see it's little vegetable self.

We rushed in a little late, and they got us right in to see the ultrasound tech.  Once she got me settled and got everything started, I was feeling less anxious; I was ready to see this baby!  Her TV screen, which usually allows the parents to see what's going on as the tech does it, was broken, so she would have to turn her screen towards us when she actually found something for us to see.

She started running through the typical questions-- I thought.  She asked "any history of twins in your family?"  "Nope," I said right away (not realizing I had one aunt along the line who had them).  Her next words were not the next question in a series that ultrasound techs have to ask.  Her next words were...

"Well, there is now."

It didn't register with me at first.  I was just kind of like, oh, okay, wait, WHAT?!  She turned the screen to me.  "Yup, there's two babies."

I was shocked, stunned, without words, behind belief.  Immediate tears hit, and I looked at Rob, who's mouth was agape.  He had this giant open-mouth smile on his face.  I think we were both shocked, excited, and scared to death.  (At least I know I was!)

We talked through the rest of the ultrasound as the tech showed us pictures.  We had a million questions for her, poor lady.  She described our babIES as little gummy bears, and showed us the "balloons" they were holding (their yolk sacs).


Baby B
Baby A
Gummy Bear



Both babies are fine-- great heart rates, perfect size, and each in their own individual sac.  They're only 8 weeks, but as of right now, they are perfectly healthy.

We called Rob's mom and grandma right away, and went straight to my parents house, where we told them and called the grandparents.  We tried calling uncles.  Rob wanted to tell EVERYONE.  It was a fabulous exciting time.

As soon as we got home, Rob started researching twins.  He wanted to know everything he could about the pregnancy and about raising them.  He's going to be a great daddy.

Well, it's twins, so this adventure just got even more exciting.  Our next appointment is on May 22, and that day can not come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment