Wednesday, May 8, 2013
The Big Reveal
We're going to be parents. Rob and I. It's happening. We are going to be someone's mommy and daddy. And it's happening in 7 months!
We were as surprised as everyone else to find out that we were expecting. And among the great variety of reactions we received the most important one, ours, was very positive.
We found out in the middle of the night. I had taken tests earlier in the day that were "inconclusive" (I bought Walgreens brand tests instead of name brand... don't ever do it!) and couldn't take the new tests that I bought right away (if you know what I mean). So when I woke up in the middle of the night with a full bladder, I wasn't going to wait any longer to take the test. I think it was about 1:30 in the morning. It was digital, easy to read.
The other two were NOT that positive at first, and it says they're not accurate after the first 10 minutes (that's when they became more clear) so I didn't believe them. Thanks, Clearblue, for being so easy!
So there it was. I couldn't react. I couldn't smile, or cry, or be afraid... I just woke Rob up and told him.
He sat up with me while I began research-- for hours. I downloaded apps on my phone, I read blogs and articles, I looked at pictures... I became a pregnancy expert. All night. I didn't sleep. We got really excited together, Rob and I, and I couldn't go back to sleep!
The next day I was so sick, and I figured it was just in my head. Now that I know I'm pregnant, I'm all of a sudden nauseous? Whatever, stupid body.
But it definitely wasn't sick. My "morning sickness" (read: all day this effing sucks sickness) was, and still is, miserable.
That day, I spent every spare moment researching doctors, birthing rooms, hospitals, midwives... everything I could to make sure that I got the best treatment and care for myself and my new little one (which I knew at the time through my research was about the size of an apple seed). I decided on the Pearl Place Women's Clinic which delivers at the Birthing Inn. Pearl Place had incredible reviews and seemed to fit my hippie-ish ideals, so it just fit. I called and made an appointment for the following Monday.
It was a looooong wait to that first appointment on April 22. But all my suspicions about Pearl Place were correct-- they were fabulous! They were nice, congratulatory, and so very helpful. I didn't want a place that was going to be no-nonsense and rush me through; they were very understanding, uplifting, and supportive of this excited new mom and dad.
It was a perfect fit.
And after I gave them like all of the blood from my body (and all the pee) we were off with a set of 3 appointments all 2 weeks apart.
We set off right away in planning. We bought a bouncer, a crib, and a changing table/dresser combo. Even though our house isn't ready, even though we were 8 months away, we were excited and wanted to prepare.
Our next appointment was to be a dating ultrasound on April 6, where we would get to see our tiny baby for the first time. And we couldn't wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment